Get ready to step back in time with this unique historical sailing vessel ….
The Howard Davis was designed by Kurt Oehlman and built by Louw and Halvorson as a purpose built naval training vessel in Iroko wood. She was designed with a large saloon with all round visibility to make it suitable for teaching a class of upcoming navigators. Launched in 1965 at Quay 4 in the Victoria Basin. She spent the next 25 years based at Granger Bay in service with the Academy, during which time she was used for sail training and navigational exercises. In 1971 she was used as guard ship for the first Cape to Rio yacht race under the command of Captain Phil Nankin; and subsequently completed several Atlantic Ocean crossings to South America. In 1991 due to restructuring in the budget as well as the training syllabus of the Academy, she was sold into the private sector.
The current owner has done extensive renovations, passed all Sea Expectance tests and she is once again ready for the open ocean. She has now being repurposed as a recreational vessel known as The Impossible Machine (TIM) Sailing Vessel. It has a maximum capacity of 12 passengers and 3 crew.
- Full crew and fuel
- Exclusive use of the vessel
- Complimentary welcome drinks & Light nibbles (chips, peanuts) & ice.
- Crockery, cutlery, glasses
- Coffee, milk, hot chocolate
- Variety of water toys such as SUP boards and a spinnaker swing
- Beverage, catering & add-on activities
Upon arrival you will be met by fully trained crew. TIM Sailing Vessel also offers the following:
Beverages / Catering – Can be arranged at an additional cost - I have attached various menu options for the snacks & cocktail dishes, should you wish to have any this will need to booked in advance and confirmed at least 2 weeks before your scheduled charter. Any additional beverages can be arranged at an additional cost. Otherwise you are more than welcome to bring your own drinks & snacks. BBQ / Braai facilities are available.
Entertainer / Music – At an additional cost bespoke trips such a birthday parties and live performance shows can be arranged, by well-known singer and songwriter, Ard Matthews, the front man of South African band Just Jinjer and more. There is also an onboard sound system with USB connection if you wish to bring your own music.
Features – 2 x Head (Toilet), 2 cabins, 1 x large saloon, 1 x Galley (kitchen), Sail area: +/- 200sqm, 225hp 6 Cylinder John Deere Engine
Route - Table Bay and surrounding areas and routing is weather dependent.
Weather: Sailing routes are dependent on weather conditions and at the discretion of the skipper. You and your guests safety will always be the primary priority.
Additional information - Guest are more than welcome to get involved as crew onboard and enjoy the sailing adventure. Add on some water sport activities such as Jet Ski’s, Adventure boat rides on the high speed rubber duck. Snorkelling with the Cape Fur Seals - only available on 3 hours+ charters. (Enquire for further details).
Basic Terms and Conditions (TIM):
- All charters are weather dependent and at the discretion of management.
- Rates are in South African rands.
- All charters are subject to our General terms and conditions and signed indemnity forms
- You will be required to acknowledge T&C's specific for (The Impossible Machine) TIM.
TIM Cancellation & Refund Policy:
- A non- refundable deposit of 50% will secure the booking.
- Full balance is due 6 weeks prior to the charter. Bookings made within 6 weeks of the charter require full payment.
- Cancellations made within 30 days of the charter - 50% of cost (excl deposit) will be refunded.
- Cancellations made within 7 days of charter will not be refunded.
- Please note that changes from the South African Government or SAMSA could change the total pax allowed onboard.
- Currently 10 pax maximum allowed onboard.
- Should regulations change due to government announcements. We will reschedule of your charter to a future date suitable for you. NO REFUNDS will be provided, only rescheduling.
Amenities, Entertainment & Recreation
For your relaxation and entertainment 5 Hour - The Impossible Machine (TIM) has the following facilities, for more details please speak to your yacht charter broker.
'5 Hour - The Impossible Machine (TIM) ' Charter Rates & Destinations
Sept 2021 – Aug 2022 Season Information
Winter and Summer season
2 - 3 hours
4 - 5 hours
Select from our diverse range of charters include luxury motor yachts, sailing and motorised catamarans, classic yachts