Get ready to step back in time with this unique historical sailing vessel ….
The Howard Davis was designed by Kurt Oehlman and built by Louw and Halvorson as a purpose built naval training vessel in Iroko wood. She was designed with a large saloon with all round visibility to make it suitable for teaching a class of upcoming navigators. Launched in 1965 at Quay 4 in the Victoria Basin. She spent the next 25 years based at Granger Bay in service with the Academy, during which time she was used for sail training and navigational exercises. In 1971 she was used as guard ship for the first Cape to Rio yacht race under the command of Captain Phil Nankin; and subsequently completed several Atlantic Ocean crossings to South America. In 1991 due to restructuring in the budget as well as the training syllabus of the Academy, she was sold into the private sector.
The current owner has done extensive renovations, passed all Sea Expectance tests and she is once again ready for the open ocean. She has now being repurposed as a recreational vessel known as The Impossible Machine (TIM) Sailing Vessel. It has a maximum capacity of 12 passengers and 3 crew.
- Full crew and fuel
- Exclusive use of the vessel
- Complimentary welcome drinks & Light nibbles (chips, peanuts) & ice.
- Crockery, cutlery, glasses
- Coffee, milk, hot chocolate
- Variety of water toys such as SUP boards and a spinnaker swing
- Beverage, catering & add-on activities
Upon arrival you will be met by fully trained crew. TIM Sailing Vessel also offers the following:
- All charters are weather dependent and at the discretion of management.
- Rates are in South African rands.
- All charters are subject to our General terms and conditions and signed indemnity forms
- You will be required to acknowledge T&C's specific for (The Impossible Machine) TIM.
- A non- refundable deposit of 50% will secure the booking.
- Full balance is due 6 weeks prior to the charter. Bookings made within 6 weeks of the charter require full payment.
- Cancellations made within 30 days of the charter - 50% of cost (excl deposit) will be refunded.
- Cancellations made within 7 days of charter will not be refunded.
- Please note that changes from the South African Government or SAMSA could change the total pax allowed onboard.
- Currently 10 pax maximum allowed onboard.
- Should regulations change due to government announcements. We will reschedule of your charter to a future date suitable for you. NO REFUNDS will be provided, only rescheduling.
Amenities, Entertainment & Recreation
For your relaxation and entertainment The Impossible Machine (TIM) has the following facilities, for more details please speak to your yacht charter broker.
Select from our diverse range of charters include luxury motor yachts, sailing and motorised catamarans, classic yachts